Danmaku!! is a game of hidden roles, where players fight it out to discover who is their ally and who is their enemy. There are four basic roles, but there are also special roles that may replace one of the basic roles. The basic roles are as follows:
The Heroine wants to defeat the Stage Bosses and Extra Boss.
Stage Bosses want to defeat the Heroine.
Extra Bosses want to defeat all of the Stage Bosses, then defeat the Heroine.
Partners want to help the Heroine defeat the Stage Bosses and Extra Bosses.
In addition to the four basic roles, there are seven special roles, which might replace the basic roles at the beginning of the game. Each of the special roles has a slightly different win condition, though they still count as the four types: Heroine, Partner, Stage Boss, or Extra Boss. With the special roles, you can never be quite sure who’s really on your team.
In addition to the basic Stage Boss, there are three special Stage Boss roles, each with their own particular win condition:
- The Challenger is a Stage Boss that wants to defeat the Extra Boss before defeating the Heroine.
- The Final Boss is a Stage Boss that wants to defeat the Partners before defeating the Heroine.
- The Anti-Heroine is a Stage Boss that wants to defeat a fellow Stage Boss before defeating the Heroine.
Like the Stage Bosses, there is are special Partner roles with different win conditions:
- The One True Partner can’t stand any other partners and want to defeat them before defeating the Stage Bosses and Extra Bosses.
- The EX Midboss isn’t really the Heroine’s partner at all! She wants to defeat the Stage Bosses, then defeat the Heroine, helping the Extra Boss win!
Extra Bosses have it rough, as they want to defeat all the Stage Bosses on top of defeating the Heroine. Fortunately, Extra Bosses have the unique ability to reveal themselves during the game in order to gain special advantage. There are two kinds of Extra Bosses:
- The EX Boss can draw an extra card each turn while revealed.
- The Phantom Boss has the ability to manipulate the Incident deck while revealed.
There are two cards for each Extra Boss: The EX Boss and the EX Boss Revealed; then the Phantom Boss and the True Phantom Boss. Be sure you only include the EX Boss and Phantom Boss cards when assigning roles. The other cards are used when the Extra Boss uses their reveal power.
The Heroine and the Rival
In addition to the Heroine, a player may be dealt the Rival card. The Rival is like a second Heroine. The Rival really wants to become the Heroine, and the only way to do that is to take down the current Heroine and take her place!
At the start of the game, the roles are separated by color, corresponding to their type. The number on the top right indicates if the role is to be included based on the number of players playing. The remaining roles and special roles of the same color are shuffled together. Then a number of random roles are chosen based on the number of players in the game.
- 4 players: 1 Heroine, 2 Stage Bosses, 1 Extra Boss
- 5 players: 1 Heroine, 1 Partner, 2 Stage Bosses, 1 Extra Boss
- 6 players: 1 Heroine, 1 Partner, 3 Stage Bosses, 1 Extra Boss
- 7 players: 1 Heroine, 2 Partners, 3 Stage Bosses, 1 Extra Boss
- 8 players: 1 Heroine, 2 Partners, 3 Stage Bosses, 1 Extra Boss, 1 Rival