OverviewThis version is mostly an update to the syntax of Danmaku!! Your physical Danmaku!! cards are still good, but those of you who play online the majority of the time will want to switch to the 1.1 version. We will still support 1.0 for the base game and Lunatic Extra, but future expansions, including Mutiny of Belittled Spirits, will use this new syntax. Any reprints will also use the new syntax.
Most of the changes were made for additional clarity and to smooth out rough edges in the game. There are a handful of functional changes but most cards work the same in 99% of cases. Literally every card had its text changed.
You can download the Tabletop Simulator save here. We are working on a universal rulebook and official release from the Mystery Parfait steam account. Please wait warmly.
ChoosingThe rules now refer to making choices, and cards can modify what happens when you choose, particularly in MoBS. Choices are extremely common, so things that are not a choice are easier to list:
- Counter attacks don’t choose players to attack
- AOE attacks often generate 1 choice attack but you do not choose for other attacks(Flandre)
- Target as a verb has been removed from the game, target as a noun still exists but has no special rules
On Behalf Rules RemovedPlaying on behalf of others has been completely removed from the game. This rule was found to be too confusing when mixed with timing rules. Cards that used the on behalf rules have functional changes that are roughly equivalent.
- Eirin may gift cards as an Instant
- Doremy makes another player play an Action card but she makes all choices for it
Copying Rules RemovedCopying cards has been replaced by playing the same card again.
- Melee keeps getting replayed and doesn’t resolve until people stop participating
- Kyouko plays cards a second time after they finish resolving
- Letty puts cards back into her hand instead of the discard
Timing Rules UpdatesTiming is more explicit now.
- Instants now have explicit timing in all cases
- Many Abilities have “as an Action” or “as an Instant”, these still do not count as playing a card
- Spell Cards now say “Only activate this…” to imply you still need an Invocation card for them
Role Card Player RequirementsRole cards have been updated, the advanced roles now require a larger number of players before they come into the picture.
Hand Size ModifiersHand size modifiers now all stack. Discovering the largest hand size is an exercise left to the reader.
Destroy KeywordDestroy is a new keyword that means to put an item in its discard pile. Destroy always refers to Items, while discard now only refers to cards in hand.
Manifest KeywordWhen an Incident is revealed and takes effect it manifests.
- Clownpiece’s Ability is once each turn. Being salty is still an Instant
- Eirin has a new Ability of gifting cards as an Instant
- Flandre’s Ability changes so that players can’t choose to discard a Powerup after all (No Season Release)
- Futo’s Spell Card has had the “other” removed. Please give us playtested feedback on this change
- Graze is now a split card and you can discard any card to play it on others
- Raiko’s Ability had “her” removed, it implied she could be canceled if she used Capture Spell Card. This removes that
- Reimu’s homing shot now works against Supernatural Border, but does not require 2 cards in hand. Also triggers after the player avoids the attack
- Reisen’s Do-over attacks must be in range, she gets multiple do-overs with cards like Twin Shot. Explicitly refers to Spell Cards. Reisen’s Spell Card now only works against Action Spell Cards
- Scarlet Mist has been rewritten, is now the EVERYBODY FIGHT incident
- Seiran’s draw limit of 2 refreshes each turn. (Previously it was only on her turn)
- Shoot is now a split card and you can discard any card to make it rangeless
- Spirit Camera has been rewritten
- Utsuho’s Ability had the words “on her turn” removed. This allows her to activate Reaction Spell Cards if she gets access to one
Syntax Notes for Fanworks
- Avoid “in play”
- Play conditions move to the top of cards.
- “Only play this…” wording for play conditions
- Items that referred to themselves by name now say “this Item”
- Items and cards that affect Items use control & destroy language.
- Flipping loses the “from the top of the deck” language.
- “You can…” – This clause gives you a new thing you can do.
- “You may…” – Creates a choice about something that’s already happening. Still exists but the above replaces it when you’re gaining a new thing you can do. (Ex Seal Away)
- “When…” – A trigger that happens once.
- “Whenever…” – A trigger that happens multiple times.
- “Whenever…” + “You may…” + “You can only use this effect once each…” creates a trigger with a cooldown after you choose to go through with it. (Ex Spirit Camera)
- “Only play/activate…” – A restriction on when you can play a Reaction or Instant.
- “Then, …” – Finish the above steps before you do this one.
- “cannot” -> “can’t” – A break in formal writing to save card space.
- “per” -> “each”
- “all players” -> “each player”
- “place” -> “put”
- “Item card” -> “Item” when that Item is under someone’s control (not in hand, etc). Same for all Item subtypes.
- Whitespace should be manipulated as needed to maximize readability